Friday 11 September 2015

Sniffle, Sniffle, Cough, Cough

Four days into the new school year and the two-under-two crew have caught a cold. They have been sniffling and sneezing all night long mixed in with the occasional cough. My poor babies! It was a long night; none of us got much sleep. As I was sitting upright allowing Harriet to sleep on my chest after one of the longest sneezing fits I have ever witnessed, I looked upon her sweet face and realized that yep, I had finally fallen in love with this one.

Let me explain: after Leif was born I was holding him one evening in the hospital and I became quite upset because I did not feel the same way about him as I did about my other three munchkins. I remember thinking; what is wrong with me? This is Thing 4. The baby I have dreamed about and worked so hard to have. Then it occurred to me, love is not something that happens at first sight - sorry to spoil all those romantic movies for you. Love is something that builds over time through getting to know someone, through caring for them and through putting their needs before your own. This is not to say I was not gushing over my adorable Thing 4 when he was born or that I did not love him for being mine, but how I felt for him was dramatically different compared to how I felt for Zoe, Elliot and Avery. Sure enough, though, over countless sleepless nights spent nursing him and changing his bum and witnessing those first smiles,I fell in love with my little boy.

I am not sure the exact moment I fell in love with Harriet, but last night while I was comforting her through each sneeze and sniffle, my heart was overflowing with love for this precious little girl. I love how serious she is, how obsessed with her mama she is and how she squints her eyes when she smiles. Harriet, will always be my baby girl and you will always hold a very special place in my heart along with the other four things and my one Mr. Level-Headed.

I am one lucky mama to have this precious little girl in my life:





Have a great weekend!




No comments:

Post a Comment