Thursday 15 August 2013

The Good Samaritan

Yesterday was interesting . . .

I had to go back to Blood Services to do the glucose challenge . . . yuck! I had been there the day before, but silly me, in my pregnancy brain haze, forgot to bring the doctor's requisition order for the blood work, and, ultimately, it could not be done because they could not get a hold of my doctor to find out what additional tests she requested . . . grrrr! So, I went back yesterday. On my way there, my car informed me that I had a low tire (you have to love 21st C cars!), and since I was a little early for my appointment, I decided to run into the Irving and pump it up. I put my loonie into the  machine and pumped air into the tire that needed it. Then, since the machine was still going and I still had ten minutes before my appointment, I ran around and checked my other tires. The back one needed a bit and so I went to work. Then I made my way back to the front of the car to do the other tire. It too needed a some air. Two seconds after I placed the air nozzle on the tire spout, I heard a pop and then a loud swoosh as a ton of air came blowing out. I was dumbfounded. I had no idea what had just happened, but there was my tire, completely deflated and what looked liked a broken tire spout lying beside me on the ground. I sat there and stared at the tire. All I remember thinking is:

What am I supposed to do now?



And then my standard answer came to me:

Call Derrick!

Seriously, I pray all the time that we leave this world together. I really don't know what I would do without him.

Then a man came up and commented on my tire trouble. He tried talking to me, but all I could think of and all I kept saying to him was:

I have to call my husband.

So, I got back into the car and called Mr. Level-Headed, who was in Grand Bay and was in the middle of showing a cottage to some prospective customers. He assured me he would come get me as soon as he was done. Then I looked up and saw the gentlemen standing beside the Irving waiting for me to finish my phone call. I told Mr. Level-Headed there was a man with me who may be able to help, and I let him go. As soon as I got out of the car, I let it all out to this poor, unsuspecting stranger:

I have an appointment in ten minutes just down the road. I don't know how to fix my tire and my husband is in Grand Bay trying to sell a house.

I am sure I was quite the sight in my pregnant and flustered state, on the verge of tears with car grease all over my hands.

He looked at me and very calmly said: 

I can drive you to your appointment and then come back and fix your tire. I used to work in a garage, I live just across the street, and I have all the tools I need to put your spare tire on. 

Normally, I am an uber-cautious person and stranger-danger was the mantra I grew up with; however, at this moment, for some strange reason, none of that mattered any more. I felt very comfortable with this man, and he seemed very sincere. So, I agreed. Then I grabbed my bags and gave him the supplies he would need to dislodge my spare tire from underneath the front of my car . . . . what?!?! Oh, this poor guy had his work cut out for him. Then we crossed the street and got into his van. He drove me directly to Blood Services, told me his name and gave me his cell phone number in case I needed someone to pick me up when I was done. As I was getting out of his car, I thanked him again and then, as a final thought, I told him my name. Man, sometimes I can be so rude, but looking back, I think this is what made me so comfortable with him. He never asked anything of me. He did not ask for the keys to my car, or my name or my cell phone number. He was simply there to help. 

After I shut the car door, I went immediately into the office, checked in for my appointment, and took a seat in the waiting room. Then it all hit me. I started shaking like a leaf. 

I had just got into a stranger's car. WHAT WAS I THINKING?

I went into the bathroom, still shaking, and splashed some water on my face. I took a few deep breaths and then I went back to my seat. 

Krista, it is okay. You are here. Your car is locked. You have the keys. He knows nothing about you. This is okay.

Then I texted Mr. Level-Headed and told him what had happened. He was happy to hear that this man was being such a huge help and he assured me that he would come pick me up.

After the test was all complete, we headed back to the Irving and were shocked to see that my tire was still flat. We walked back across the street and met up with Duane, the kind man who helped me. It turns out that in order to get the spare tire out from under the car, there is a lever IN THE CAR that needs to be turned. Seriously, could the manufacturers make this any more difficult? So, the three of us went back over to the car, I unlocked the door and Mr. Level-Headed found the lever. Then the two of them got to work. I say the two of them, but Duane would not let Derrick, who was still in his work suit, touch anything because he did not want him to wreck his clothes. He assured us that he did not mind doing the dirty work. While he was under my car fighting with the tire, I ran over to Tim Horton's and bought him a gift card. It really was not much, and it really was not fitting for all that he had done for me this day, but it was all I could think of. Within half an hour, my spare tire was put on, and we were thanking Duane again for all of his help that afternoon.

I know I said this yesterday, but I truly believe there are angels, or angelic people,  walking amongst us. This man got filthy and took at least an hour out of his day to help someone he did not know. He didn't have to do it. He could have been like all the other people, who simply walked past me and my flat tire without even acknowledging there was a problem, but he chose to stop and help.

I also believe there are angels watching over us, who will prompt us to do things that are out of our character in order to prevent foreseeable disaster. It turns out, that my tire could have very easily blown, while I was driving it. Can you imagine if I was on the highway when that happened? Or if I had my kids with me? Instead, for some reason, I decided to take the time to pump up all of my tires this day. I usually only do my front left one because that is the one that is notorious for leaking air, but for some strange reason, I decided to do all of them. I also, for some strange reason, decided to trust a perfect stranger and in the end, all was well. I made my appointment, an accident was prevented and I arrived home safely.

Thank you to Duane, and all the people out there just like him, who think nothing of putting someone else's needs before their own  and will do all that they can to make someone else's day a little bit brighter. He sure made my day a whole lot better and I I truly hope I can pay this act of kindness forward someday.









No comments:

Post a Comment