Monday 17 June 2013

Trouble With a Capital "P"

Mondays are my least favourite day of the week. Especially when you are coming down from one of the best and most tastiest weekends you've had in a long time. 

It all started on Friday afternoon, when Zoe and five of her friends, who were all hopped up on a we-just-finished-our-last-exam high, raided our home. One of these aforementioned friends has become my most favourite person of all time because she passed along onto me one of the greatest secrets of the universe:

Krista, Zoe told me you are craving poutine with this pregnancy.

Karlee, it is so bad. In fact, I have thought about it all week (again!) and I am totally thinking about going on another poutine run tonight.

You should try the poutine at Reed's Point Pub. It's awesome!

For those of you who may not know, Reed's Point Pub is a small pub located almost directly across from the ferry landing here on the Kingston side, AND it just happens to be a three minute drive from my house. I am in so much trouble!

And so, as you  have already probably guessed, I made my first trip to Reed's Point Pub immediately after I dropped all the girls and the one, totally outnumbered boy off at another friend's birthday party. I have no will power!



And let me tell you, the poutine was to-die-for!!!! Unlike the poutine run I made the Friday before to Deluxe, this run left me completely and utterly satisfied. It was heavenly!




Unfortunately, though, it was so good that another fan was created in my household, and I had to share my treasure.


Afterwards, when I was basking in the glory of a full and happy belly, I decided I needed to place limits on this new found love of mine. So far, I am at 3 poutines in 3 weeks, and at this rate, my poor AMA body may just explode; therefore, with Mr. Level-Headed as my witness, I vowed to eat it only once a month for the rest of my pregnancy. 

Then Saturday came, and oh what a Saturday it was. The sun was shining, my hubby had no work to do, we had a date afternoon planned with some close friends, and the pool was ready! It couldn't have been better.



Then, on our way to Hampton and since we had no food left in the house (eeek! Whose in charge of this organisation anyway?), we took the kids to Kredl's Cookhouse for lunch. In spite of the tempting Quebec poutine advertised on the menu, I was strong and ordered a BBQ'd sausage instead. Baby Girl decided to go for the poutine and my once fully satisfied craving for this fatty, salty, cheesy delicacy of the gods revved up again. Be strong, Krista! Be strong!  But nope. As fate would have it, Baby Girl could not finish her lunch and I somehow ended up with it sitting on my lap. What's a girl to do?

And so I ate it. . . . . mmmmmmmm!



If I was to compare these two poutines, I would have to say that the one at Kredl's is far more tastier, but only because they actually use cheese curds. The one at Reed's Point Pub, however, deserves points for it's sheer proximity to my humble abode and for it's sheer size. It definitely wins the Bang-for-your-Buck award! Oh, and FYI: both of them blew Deluxe out of the water. 

I have to admit that I was a little ashamed of myself for the  lack of will power I displayed that afternoon, and so after chowing down on a giant popcorn and pop, while watching the new Superman movie (awesome!) with our friends, I opted to only have a salad for dinner at Peddler's Creek (the next stop on our epic Saturday adventure).

But . . .

our friend Brian ordered their poutine with pulled pork and, although I was able to restrain myself for the time, I have not been able to stop thinking about it. It looked like the poutine to end all poutines, and I need to get my hands on it! And so after much thought and deliberation, I have decided that my goal for this pregnancy is to seek out the best poutine in all of Atlantic Canada! I say Atlantic Canada because I recently heard that Halifax N.S. has a poutinery and I am desperate to try it, and we also have a trip to PEI coming up for Baby Girl's soccer tournament, and surely they have poutine on the island. Right?

Nothing good can come of this . . . 

Oh, and if you are wondering, yes each of these gravies are probably filled with gluteny goodness and yes, I am still gluten-free. Thankfully, they have not bothered my belly, but I have developed a very itchy rash on my neck . . . eeeek! True love comes with sacrifices, though. 

Happy Monday!





No comments:

Post a Comment