Wednesday 19 June 2013

The Dreaded "B" Word

With Zoe finished school, no errands to run, and the sun shining, yesterday felt like our first taste of summer vacation. It was glorious! Sure the boys are still finishing up a couple of subjects, but since it is only math and grammar, our school day goes very quickly, and by 12:30 we were able to ditch the books. After our lunch of BBQ hotdogs (truly the most summer-ish food of all), we put our bathing suits on, lathered our bodies up with 60 spf sunscreen (does that meet your approval, Hilary?), and we dove into the pool. 



Truly, life can not get any better than it was yesterday! The kids splashed and dunked each other, while I lazily floated along the water. Ahhhhhhhhhhh! Then I swam a few laps. Ya' know, it takes a lot of work to keep this amazing beach body of mine in such pristine, super-model shape:


tee hee!

I have no shame.

We stayed in the pool for about an hour and a half, and then we made the long trek back up our hill. As the kids changed, I hung up our beach towels on the railing of our deck to dry them off in the sun. In the two minutes it took for me to do this, Elliot had changed, discovered that his one hour of screen time was already used up for the day, and began whining:

But mmmmmmooooooommmmmm, I am so bored . . . 

I could feel my inner mama dragon stir. My entire body tensed each time he let out another spleeny, weeny complaint. I wanted to yell and tell him that if he didn't stop right now that I would take all forms of screen (aka technology) away from him for the entire summer (yeah, I like to overreact like that sometimes), and then the most brilliant idea dawned on me.

Listen up kids, every time I hear one of you say "I am bored" this summer, I will give you a chore.

Being the type of kids who needs to experience something first hand before he truly understands it, Elliot said it again:

But, I'm bored, mom!

Awesome, Elliot! You can empty out the dishwasher for me. Thanks.

And so, while Elliot grumbled and complained about how I was the worst mother in the world, and quite possibly could have used the other dreaded "B" to describe me, Thing 4 and I took a nap out on the deck .

Ahhhhhhhhhh!

I think this is going to be the most fantabulous summer of all!

Oh, and to make it even better, these two have gotten into the habit of joining me in bed each morning after Mr. Level-Headed leaves for work. How adorable are they?


The cuteness factor in this bed is off the charts!


Happy Tuesday everyone!

Ugh.

Make that Wednesday . . . 



No comments:

Post a Comment