Thursday 25 October 2012

Road Trip!

Yesterday, Zoe and I hopped in the car and drove to Halifax for the day because she had an appointment at the IWK.  Zoe has been sick for two months now, and was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis three weeks ago.  It hasn't been easy for her.  In fact, if you ask her, it really sucks, but she is handling it like a trooper, and I am really proud of her.  But, now that you know, you must promise me to NEVER, EVER look at Zoe any differently.  This is her biggest fear.  She does not want your pity, and she really does not want her illness to define her.  She is the smart, strong, sensible Sporty Spice.  Ya' got it?  Good.  Okay, so maybe that is not how she wants you to define her, but I think it fits.  

Anyhoo . . .

 I love car trips, and I am sure if you asked Zoe, she would say that this one was extra special.  Who wouldn't love being locked up in a confined space with their mama for a whomping eight hours . . . tee hee!
We grabbed some snacks, blasted the tunes and sang our hearts out.  We tossed around Christmas gift ideas for everyone in the family, discussed Halloween costumes, and laughed at all the small town "claims to fame", like halfway between the Equator and the North Pole.  Okay, so that one is pretty cool, but you get the picture.  I tried to convince Zoe to jump out of the car a couple of times so I could take her picture with some cows, but she wasn't game for that.  Ugh . . . teenagers!  

The highlight of our trip, and I am sure Zoe would agree, was, as we passed Springhill, NS, I told her all about my favourite kids' song when I was growing up:  "There's A Hippo in the Bathtub" by Anne Murray.  I went on to describe how my best friend, Connie Winchester, and I would sing along to that song on my front step, while we blasted it on my kid-sized gettoblaster.  Ah, the eighties!  I confessed that this song had inspired me to become a Country Music Star someday.  Zoe, feeling ripe with hilarity, replied: "Ah, another failed dream" . . . tee hee!  She really is a brat!  In spite of how much this song meant to me, I couldn't remember how it went so Zoe found it on Youtube, and then kicked herself for doing so because I sang it the entire day.  Sorry, Baby Girl!  If you want to stroll down memory lane with me, though, here's the link.  It's so awesome!

It really was a great day.  The sun was shining, and the trees were adorning their fabulous Fall wardrobe.  We must have driven past at least five bright red fields. They were stunning, and this one, in particular,was really spectacular:


As much as I hate the cooler Autumn temperatures, I have to admit that Fall is the prettiest season.

At this point, I could lie and tell you how I love car trips because they give me time to reflect or distance from all my cares and worries, and they do, but in all honesty, I love them because they give me an opportunity to indulge in one of my guiltiest pleasures:  junk food!




Ohhhhhh, not Rotten Ronnie's!

Admit it, your opinion of me has gone down a notch.  It's okay, really.  I don't blame you.  

I am so bad.

So, that's how I spent my day yesterday; just me and my baby girl driving, singing, laughing, admiring, and eating.  At one point, while listening to a song titled "Live Like You'll Die Young", Zoe pondered out loud what it would be like to be given only one day to live.  I jokingly answered: "Well, I am not going to get drunk and sleep with everything that moves like this song suggests."  We laughed, and she rolled her eyes at her lame mother.  Later that night, after we arrived home safely, called everyone with the doctor's update, and were tucked in bed, I kept thinking about her question:  what would I do if this was my last day to live?  Then, a welcoming comfort of peace enshrouded me, and I was humbled, once again, by the recognition of just how truly blessed I am.  Perhaps, I would have invited three more people along for our car trip, but, ultimately, I wouldn't change a thing.  






2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful experience! I can't drive distances so I will never get to do that with one of my girls but I'm so glad you shared with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are big fans of road trips, and what would a road trip be without junk food? I even let my son pick out candy EVERY time we get gas :-)

    ReplyDelete