Monday 18 July 2011

The Garden Coup

I didn't even see it coming.

I was caught completely off guard.

I was tending my darling little garden all in my lonesome, enjoying the sun on my face and the cheerful chirping of my only companions, the birds, when all of a sudden I was being swarmed by armed wee Websters with the desire to usurp my title as "Queen of all Things that Grow" and relegate me to the lowly position of field hand.




I guess I should have seen it coming.

Initially, I tried to involve the children in the planting of our garden.  I asked them to choose the seeds they would like to grow and tend to over the summer, but they quickly brushed this idea off.  "No, thanks, mom, we have more important things to do".  Really, I couldn't blame them.  Their only experience with growing vegetables up to this point was "planting" bean seeds in wet paper towel back in Kindergarten and watching them grow until that fateful day when mama couldn't stand them cluttering her kitchen window anymore and threw them in the compost.  Aahh . . . the horror of it all!  So, I suppose when they saw this large plot of dirt and were told we were going to grow vegetables in it this summer, they thought I was crazy.  "Whatever, mom".



Then, once school came to a close, I assigned them the duty of watering the garden each evening.  They were less-than pleased with this new assignment, but they begrudgingly grabbed the watering can and gave the plants their much-needed drink for the day.



Then, I pushed a little further and asked the kidlets to help me weed the garden.

They were not pleased!




But then something happened. 

Our garden began to grow!

Our plants were growing tall, and we were harvesting some lettuce for our salads.

And they wanted to be a part of it. 




So, on that fateful day, they joined me out in the garden with rakes and hoes in hand, and tended to what is now lovingly referred to as "our garden". 

They even picked their own rows of vegetables to be responsible for.  Avery, who reminds me of myself more and more each day, posted everyone's vegetables-of-choice on the pantry.




I got the leftovers.

I was thrilled!  They caught the bug, and we were toiling side-by-side.  This is what families are all about.

Then, last night, after we came home from a wonderful dinner with lots of friends, Avery and I performed our routine check on the garden to see what new growth or damage had occured that day.  Much to our surprise and delight, this is what we found:




Look closely.  Beneath the flower and to the
right you will see a tiny pea pod growing.
I screamed, "My zuchini and my peas are growing!  They are growing!"

To which Avery responded, in a very serious tone, "Ah, mom, that is my zuchini plant.  Remember the list".

"What?!"

This is where the childish me took over and I began to list ALL the things I had done that out-weigh any authority "the list" may carry.

"I tilled the soiled (okay, Mr. Level-Headed did this job, but I cheered him on), I bought the seeds, I planted the seeds, and I weeded, nourished, and pruned the garden every day.  THAT is my zucchini plant!"

"Sorry, mom, but the lists says it is mine", and he slowly sauntered off back to the house leaving me to rant to myself and the chipmunks.

Ugh!  Sharing is not one of my strengths.

As I stood out there in the dark, hearing the kids plead to their father for just one more hour before bed, I realized that this is exactly what I wanted.  I wanted the kids to feel some ownership over the garden.  I wanted them to experience the excitement of watching something grow and knowing they were instrumental in that growth. And they have worked for it.  They have waterered, weeded, and whined almost as much as me.  So, I guess this is "our" garden.  And like I remind the kids everyday, one person's success is a success for the entire family. 

Ugh!  Sometimes even I can't stand myself!  Who says stuff like that?

I went back into the house and asked Avery if he told daddy the big news.

This time, I didn't even flinch when he squealed:

"My zuccini is growing, dad!".

But, just for the record, I am not changing the sign!




Tee hee!





   


1 comment:

  1. Love it!! It kind of started like the Little Red Hen, but yours turned out much better. I wish you a happy garden and family memories!

    ReplyDelete